Panorama Creator not working on Linux Mint / Ubuntu

Jan Sende jan.sende at posteo.de
Sun May 5 19:17:59 BST 2024

Hey,
I just downloaded the newest version of digiKam (8.3.0) and played
around with the new functions. When doing so, I found the Panorama
Creator button that I never noticed before and wanted to try it.
(Looking at the release notes, I know that this is actually a kind of
an old function, but anyways...)

When clicking on the Panorama Creator I got the following screen
complaining about missing binaries.

I am currently running Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, which is based on
Ubuntu 22.04; and I am using the AppImage version of digiKam. The issue
seems to be that digiKam expect Hugin binary files to be present on my
machine. However, Ubuntu seems to have dropped Hugin from their binary
repos after version 21.10, meaning I cannot even install it. The
currently preferred way to get Hugin seems to be AppImage or FlatPak
instead. (https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hugin/)

In any case, I would expect the digiKam AppImage not to rely on system
specific packages as system independence is the whole reason to use
AppImage in the first place...

Could you please have a look on how to get the Panorama Creator working
again for everyone? Maybe a download function like for the deep
learning tools is the solution?

Thank you!

Jan Sende