Feature request: Offline map tile server alternative

johnmcd at ix.netcom.com johnmcd at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 17 15:33:17 GMT 2024

Hi,

I've pretty new to digiKam, but I've managed to get all of my pictures into
it and I'm in the process of geotagging all of the older ones that don't
have geo info in the metadata, which is pretty simple to do on my home
system. However, I also have a use case where I want to be able to use
digiKam in the field on my MS Surface Go tablet to manage pictures I take
with my DSLR camera (which doesn't support GPS). Gilles Caulier on this
mailing list pointed me to using Marble to support offline maps for digiKam
(thank you for that), which I've spent quite a bit of time getting set up.
While Marble is a great map package, it's still a work in progress, very
resource intensive for any reasonable number of offline maps, and it can be
pretty complex to set up.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for something like
mapsforgesrv (https://github.com/telemaxx/mapsforgesrv ) as an offline maps
source. It's very easy to set up and run - just download the jar file and
whatever .map files you want from mapsforge
(https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/download.mapsforge.org/maps/v5
/) and run it with 'java -jar mapsforgesrv-fatjar.jar -p 8080 -m
"massachusetts.map, new-hampshire.map"'. In order to access the mapsforgesrv
tile 'server' you just need to point the app to
'http://localhost:8080/{z}/{x}/{y}.png'.

I'm sure there are a ton of planned and requested features, but I thought
this might be useful for some folks.

Thanks

John