digiKam very slow.

Thomas sdktda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:57:17 GMT 2023

Hi,

What type of database do you use?

Where are images stored? Where is database stored?

Do you store metadata in images or in database?

While I absolutely love Digikam, I experience DK as being rather slow as
well. It seems to be a bit random for me when it is particularly slow
and I havent figured out what causes it.

However, this seems to be the best configuration for me:

  * Use SQLite
  * Store SQLite locally on SSDs
  * Store metadata in database - NOT in images

My images are stored on a NAS via SMB. I suspect that might be part of
the reason for the slowness. However, my collection is prohibitively
large to store on local SSD.

Btw. there is a debug logging feature you can enable in DK.

Look in Settings.

If you enable this, I believe it logs the timings. Maybe someone on this
list will know how to say something meaningful from such a trace.

BR

Thomas