[digiKam-users] Copy file path and name to clipboard from thumbs view

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Tue Mar 7 10:03:57 GMT 2023

Hello,

I just tested using Notepad++ and The Gimp. Copy / Paste does not do
anything. I tried using Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Ins and the "Copy" option in the
thumbnail's contextual menu, same results.

Notepad++ reacts as if there was no text to paste :

and Gimp does the same :

The Gimp's message seems a little more informative, but unfortunately
the message is the same if the clipboard is empty or if it contains no
image data.

Drag & Drop works fine both with Notepad++ and with The Gimp.

Gilles, I was a little surprised that you expected Copy to copy the name
of the image instead of it's contents. From your answer, I later
realized that you expected Copy to work on both.

Using Nirsoft's InsideClipboard tool, I found that DK did indeed put
something in the clipboard, but that Notepad++ and The Gimp could not
understand it. So I checked copying from different tools as a source (an
image viewer, Windows Explorer and so on). The image viewer I checked
copies the image contents, and works only with The Gimp. Windows
Explorer and another file manager don't work with Notepad++ or with The
Gimp, just like DigiKam. I could not find any tool which would copy both
the contents and the path in such a way that it worked with Notepad++
and The Gimp. OTOH, copying from DK towards Windows Explorer or another
file manager works.

My conclusion is that the Windows clipboard is much less tolerant than
the Linux clipboard, the Windows clipboard contains either a file
(actually not the file itself, but data allowing to identify it), text,
image (or probably music and so on) but not several types of data at
once. So that copying from DK can either work with a file manager, a
text editor or a graphics software but not with all at once. Currently,
DK places file data. I have no idea why software aren't as smart with
the clipboard as with Drag & Drop. Maybe some other text editor is smart
enough to parse the clipboard and fetch the file path from what DK
places there?

Note that DK does not always copy file data to the clipboard. If you
edit an image and select some part of it, DK copies image data instead,
which makes perfect sense IMO, so that you can then paste to The Gimp.

InsideClipboard can save a digest of the clipboard contents. I you find
it useful, I can post digests taken in different situations.

Regards

DigiKam 7.9.0
Build date: 03/12/2022 14:49 (target: RelWithDebInfo)
Revision: 99d199a7ebc10fae20afffc316ce34815f7d1c9d

Windows 11 64 bits

--
Frédéric Da Vitoria