is there any hope for a solution to my problem?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jul 27 20:08:23 BST 2023

On 7/27/23 02:04, Maik Qualmann wrote:
>> I just found it, its a square outline only and its invisible until the
>> mouse pointer is well centered on it, no damn wonder I could not find it
>> from your description of a round button next to the trash can icon. Now
>> lets see if it works.
>
> Have you installed the Breeze Icon theme and activated it in the digiKam
> settings?

I have it installed. I've now selected it in settings and restarted
digiKam. No visible change. Its still only visible as an orange square
outline if the mouse pointer is within that 3/16" square.

>> When I click on update with Pictures highlited, it opens a requestor and
>> looks like I have to do it one subdir at a time, probably over 200 times
>> for all of it, why can't I just do the whole thing in one swell foop?
>
> You have created 200 collections? You added all subdirectories as collections,
> seriously?

Database?  Whuzzat? This is a directory that has existed since I bought
my first digital camera in about 2000. So these are not anything but
normal .gif, .png or .jpg, not some database currupted versions but
straight out of the camera or maybe shrunk some more by gimp so they
could be emailed. Never ever saw a database, some thumbnails created by
jigl years ago too for what was then my web pages before all the
seacrates went over the side and drowned in 3 days a year back. Several
previous versions of digiKam dating back to buster, maybe even stretch
had no problems dealing with this bare directory, but bookworm broke it.

> Sorry, start digiKam from scratch with a new database and configuration and
> familiarize yourself with the digiKam collection idea.

Only if the original images are preserved. All the pix of my first
family who have all perished are in that directory. I even created a new
Photos directory, put 5 new pix in it with shotwell, so it was created
by this filesystem. They both show up show up in the collections menu
but the final click gets another copy of the png I posted, so nothing is
fixed.

> https://docs.digikam.org/en/getting_started.html
> https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/collections_settings.html
>
> With your other error messages, it is not possible to say without having a
> sample image whether these images are defective or what the problem is. I'm
> out of here now.
>
> Maik
>

> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.