[digiKam-users] digikam database on external drive

digikam at 911networks.com digikam at 911networks.com
Mon Jan 30 14:48:41 GMT 2023

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 23:11:22 -0500
"Tyler Smith" <tyler at plantarum.ca> wrote:

> The manual says I shouldn't/can't use an external drive for my
> database:
>
> > For performance and technical reasons relevant of SQLite, you
> > cannot use removable media.
>
> (from:
> https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/database_settings.html#database-settings)
>
> But the Digikam recipes book seems to suggest I can:
>
> > Now you can move your photo library and digiKam databases to the
> > mounted external disk, and reconfigure digiKam.
>
> (from the section "USE DIGIKAM WITH AN EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE").
>
> So I'd like to confirm, is it ok to put my database on an external
> hard drive?

Yes and no.

This is the way I operated for about 5 years until I finally cleaned
up  and restarted with the sqlite db on my personal computer.

What a difference in speed! If the sqlite db is on the local drive,
it's about 10x faster. Rebuild the thumbnails takes on 3hrs oin my
local computer vs 2.5 days! with the sqlite db on the nas.

DK is single user only.

For the multiple computers, I use a small rsync script that sync the
db to a nas, then the 2nd second user also runs a script to pass the
db to their local computer.

--
sknahT

vyS