[digiKam-users] digikam database on external drive

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Mon Jan 30 04:11:22 GMT 2023

Hi,

I currently have my photos on an external hard drive, and my database on my local drive. I'm preparing to work on my collection on two different computers, for which I want to keep the photos and the database in sync.

The manual says I shouldn't/can't use an external drive for my database:

> For performance and technical reasons relevant of SQLite, you cannot use removable media.

(from: https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/database_settings.html#database-settings)

But the Digikam recipes book seems to suggest I can:

> Now you can move your photo library and digiKam databases to the mounted external disk, and reconfigure digiKam.

(from the section "USE DIGIKAM WITH AN EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE").

So I'd like to confirm, is it ok to put my database on an external hard drive?

Thanks,

Tyler

--
plantarum.ca