[digiKam-users] 8.0.0 Pre-Release Database Compatibility

Bob Bourg bob.bourg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:56:48 GMT 2023

I am eager to try out the new features of the 8.0.0 pre-release especially
related to exiftool and HEIC images, but I was hoping you could comment on
database compatibility.  I will backup my database before proceeding, and I
accept any risks in the pre-release.

1) I assume that I can upgrade to 8.0.0 without rebuilding my existing
7.9.0 database?

2) If I make updates to the database and to image metadata with the
exiftool backend in 8.0.0, would it be possible to downgrade back to 7.9.0
but use the modified database?  I don't anticipate wanting to do this, but
I am just trying to understand what work might be lost if I have to
downgrade.

Thanks to the team for a great application!