how to detect corrupted file

Paul Norman paul at paulanorman.info
Fri Apr 14 04:54:26 BST 2023

Hi Bob,

Yes file names passed in that way can have unknown things happening
behind the scenes :-)

PowerShell can help here, but Dos can still do it effectively and
quickly, as you are working in it, here are some dos shell command lines
you could try executing.
(If you find this working, it could be converted into a batch file, once
any other needed modifications have been worked out later. Note that %-s
would need to be changed to %% in a .bat batch file.)

I downloaded a working copy of from exiv2 from
https://exiv2.org/download.html#license

Looks like you got your option commands from(?):
https://exiv2.org/sample.html

Locally, open a dos prompt up at the top of the directory tree you want
to explore.
If all you can see is PowerShell, then when that opens type :-

cmd <Enter>

Again, make sure you are in the top of the directory tree you want to
explore.

The overall system PATH does not appear to need alteration, as exiv2.exe
when called directly, appears to find all that it needs locally.
So first set your exiv2.exe file's full location, change the path to fit
your setup, using quotes especially if you have any spaces in your .exe
directory path. :-

set exiv2FullPath="G:\utils\exiv2-0.27.6-2019msvc64\bin\exiv2.exe"

And alter the below to your situation (change the *.exts to whatever you
need, fewer or more, leaving a space between them):

Then execute each of these  lines one after the other :-

del results.txt & for /r  %i in (*.jpg *.jpeg *.png *.crw *.dng) do
%exiv2FullPath% "%i"  -pp -q >> results.txt

find ": 0 x 0" results.txt > possible_corrupt.txt

notepad results.txt & notepad possible_corrupt.txt

<-- Try the above first, but if necessary, in the second command line
above, change ": 0 x 0" to whatever is signifying your corrupt file(s)
as shown in the file: results.txt. Copy and paste the needed text out of
results.txt between the "quote marks" as I suspect otherwise invisible
tabs U+0009 could be being used.

Close the notepads: for results.txt and poss_corrupt.txt - when you want
to run the command again over the same directory tree.

At worst you can scan though the file: results.txt  manually in notepad.

N.B.
Just note that the file: results.txt  will get overwritten each time you
run the main command, so copy or rename it first if you want to keep it :-)

Hope that this will help you,

Kindest regards,
Paul