[digiKam-users] Albums on USB disk disappearing if disk gets disconnected & I do refresh

Luca Casone csnluca at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 13:38:38 BST 2022

Hi folks.

I'm starting looking at DigiKam, and I'm facing a behavior for which I need
support.

I'm on MacOS. My photos are on an USB SSD that I plug into the laptop when
I need to work on them. I set this disk as removable folder in the DigiKam
settings.

Well, if I unplug the disk and trigger a refresh on an album living on it,
the whole collection disappears from the DigiKam's album pane, and in no
way I can recover it even if I relaunch DigiKam with the SSD plugged in.
I've to turn back to the settings and re-link the USB as removable folder;
but now DigiKam starts scanning the driver from scratch, as if the driver
hasn't been never connected.

Honestly, it's quite dangerous: I can hopelessly lose the entire scan just
triggering a refresh forgetting the driver is disconnected, and I've to
wait (once again, a lot of time) for a new whole scan to finish.
The only workaround I found so far is to set the removable disk as network
shared folder... but it's seems strange to me.

Is it the intended behavior? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for the support.

Bye
Luca