[digiKam-users] database management and backup

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Tue Sep 27 15:04:44 BST 2022

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022, at 2:40 AM, Remco Viƫtor wrote:
> On lundi 26 septembre 2022 23:48:24 CEST Tyler Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a new user. So far I'm very happy with digikam, but before I get too far
>> along, I'd like to figure out how to maintain backups of my database.
>>

> For me, the sqlite databases are in the root directory of the collection, so
> just backing up that whole directory tree takes care of the databases as well.

Thanks Remco,

In my case, my photos are on an external hard drive. I understand that the database should *not* be on an external drive for performance reasons, so I have that in a separate folder on a local drive. So the database file and my photos need separate back-up strategies. The db is small enough to be synced with my Nextcloud repository. My photos take up too much space for
that, so I back them up to multiple external hard drives.

Best,

Tyler