[digiKam-users] Export to remote computer

neinei at gmx.net neinei at gmx.net
Tue Sep 27 11:36:16 BST 2022

Hello François,

I faced more or less the same problem with the "Export to Remote
Computer" plugin. I was not able to find a way in the plugin window to
define or select a SFTP target for export (Digikam 7.8 on Linux KDE).
However I found an explanation of Gilles, the lead dev of Digikam on
this issue from 20.08.2021 in this mailing list. It is somewhat
technical in the explanation but helpful in getting the plugin to work.
Hope this helps for you, too.

<snip>
The problem come from the file dialog.

Go to Setup/Misc/Appareance and active native file dialog support option.

Run again the export to remote... tool and look at the file dialog is
the desktop one instead of the Qt base version.

With the desktop file dialog, you will be able to nativage to the
Network (at least with the KDE version, i don't know the Gnome one).

Why 2 files dialog and why the Qt base by default : because under few
linux (Ubuntu if i remember), the desktop file dialog crashes digiKam
due to missing dependencies, or wrong packaging.

The export to remote... tool is a specific KDE based plugin, using the
KIO mechanism in the background. As I already explained in this room and
in bugzilla, the technology is not easy to port, especially for Windows
packaging. The tool is under migration to a pure Qt support only as we
can use ssh connection with Qt Network backend, which is enough for
digiKam use. KIO supports plenty of protocols but we don't need a
bulldozer, especially if this one does not work as expected everywhere).

</snip>