[digiKam-users] Read associated XMP-file(s)

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 22 07:15:37 BST 2022

On jeudi 22 septembre 2022 03:16:40 CEST Henrik Hemrin wrote:
> Many thanks,
>
> That answers my questions. However, the answer leads to additional
> questions.
>
> In my use case for my legacy photos, the digiKam import model will work
> well. My legacy catalog comes from been Photoshop Elements/Lightroom, where
> the only option to export from them is the picture1.xmp format.
>
> In addition I have AfterShot as an additional tool for raw
> processing/editing and export. AfterShot has as default picture1.nef.xmp
> (despite it is a commercial sw), which I have used. I do not need to
> read/write eg tags in AfterShot, the xmp-file is only of interest for the
> processing/editing details. I have therefore no need to exchange AfterShot
> sidecars with any other sw, rather afraid if data will interfere, in any
> direction. (I have not used the AfterShot catalog function.)
>
> If I set digiKam to the picture1.nef.xmp format, can I get a problem if I
> use the same format for AfterShot?

XMP sidecars are basically an XML stream. One of the requirements for XML is
that an application ignores unknown tags. So you shouldn't get interference
only from reading. And I'd hope unknown tags would not be removed on writing
to an existing sidecar file (i.e. the writing application would modify or add
tags, not remove them). Tag name clashes also should not be a problem

Of course, when a new sidecar file is created, such unknown tags cannot be
written...

Remco