[digiKam-users] Moving items externally while preserving digiKam user info

Sepp A sepp4991 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 20:47:12 BST 2022

I have a large collection (over 206K items) scattered around in many
temporary directories on an external (USB-connected) HDD, that I added with
"Settings -> Configure digiKam -> Collections -> Root Album Folders ->
Collections on Removable Media".
My current database type is SQLite (QSQLite) which is a bit slow sometimes.
My setup is digiKam 7.7.0 on Windows 10.

How can I move all the items to new directories without using digiKam and
without losing any digiKam info such as tags and labels?
By moving the images around, some of them may have to get renamed. Would
this cause any problems? How to avoid it?

Outside digiKam, I use TeraCopy to get the files verified after copying.
Does digiKam have a built-in fail-safe file verification mechanism for
moving images or albums?

Any input would be much appreciated.