[digiKam-users] Feature, plugin, or advice scanning old photos

Randy Wolf randy.wolf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:47:18 BST 2022

I have a two part question. Using digikam on windows.

I'm currently digitizing bunch of family photos using a scanner. Scanner
has a crap feature to recognize and then scan bunch of individual photos
placed on the platten at once. But it is implemented terribly, is slow, has
poor edge detection, and generally not useful.

So... Questions

1) is there a feature or plugin or technique anyone knows of that would
make it easy to scan a full platten with several photos and then easily
split those photos into individual photos with the click of a button?

2) does anyone have a technique or best practice for scanning both sides of
a photo which has writing on the reverse in such a way that the photo and
the reverse of the photo stay together forever? It'd be cool if photo
formats had embedded front/back images in single file. I don't want to
(only) transcribe the writing because sometimes the handwriting itself can
provide clues about who wrote it, so I want to scan it.

Bonus question: any chance we'll see a feature which will do OCR to auto
transcribe words in photos and store it in searchable metadata? Useful for
words in a photo but also for handwritten notes on the backs of photos as
well.

Thanks to the community and especially devs for such a great product.