[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

Tóth Csaba ignis at domen.hu
Tue Oct 18 19:34:51 BST 2022

Hi!
I'm using Digicam for 5 years. I have 30K+ pictures from difference
sources, with different subjects:
- scanned photos from analog film trips (negative, positive, created
different cameras)
- digital photos from digital cameras
- photos from phone
- photos of family
I try to keep the original picture names as unique name, and for fast
finding. for everything else I always used Exif, database, and now
Digikam (I know its a database in the deep)
Because hard to organize, I have two root directory:
- family
- pictures take by me
In the family directory just three sub-dir: take by us by camera,  take
by us with phone, take by other.
In the directories many sub directories, every contains pictures with
sum size 4.5G (old plan to archive it onto DVD's but never happened, the
structure still valid)
Taken by me photos:
Subdir for negativ, positiv (films), and digital, each directory has
subdirectories by cameras. For roll films 10 roll per directory, in
digital 1000 images per directory. (I dont used phone to take photo for
This is the "physical" organization.
For the "logical" I use every possibility in the Digikam: star system,
coloring, heavy tagging.

Hope it helps!

Csaba