[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

dmpop at tokyoma.de dmpop at tokyoma.de
Tue Oct 18 10:12:06 BST 2022

Hello,

> don't forget not all photos have exifs... Not only shared photos often don't have any, but often
> cameras are not on time and don't have gps.

Of course! I'm not saying that my approach suits all situations. Just offering my take on, um, not organizing photos. :-) And honestly, I'd rather spend time on adding EXIF metadata to the files that don't have it (again, digiKam can do that, too), rather than commit to a rigid directory structure.

Also, geotagging photos in digiKam is trivial. In fact, a simple shell script hooked to the Import tool can do coarse geotagging (for example, by city) or geocorrelation when you're importing JPEG and RAW file into digiKam.

> and then, you may not have digikam at hand when viewing them, if they are on a mobile medium at
> some holiday spot

Sounds like an edge case, but I see your point.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
---
Tōkyō Made - https://tokyoma.de/