[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

dmpop at tokyoma.de dmpop at tokyoma.de
Tue Oct 18 09:35:59 BST 2022

Hello,

Allow me to chime in with a slightly different take on the topic. "A well-kept house is a sign of a misspent life" are the words I live by, and I apply them to how I manage my photos. That is to say, I don't manage them at all.

And why would I, when the entire point of digiKam is that I don't have to? If I need to see all photos taken on a particular date, it only takes a couple of clicks in digiKam. Need to find photos taken in a specific location? digiKam can handle that too. Filters are also super useful and easy to use. And the Advanced Search feature is there for all the tricky problems.

Basically, the idea of having some sort of directory hierarchy is a vestige of times when finding stuff was difficult.
In my not-so-humble opinion, tags are overrated, and tagging is such a mind-numbingly boring task. So I just pour JPEG and RAW files into digiKam and let the application do the work it's built to perform.

I do group and tags photos belonging to specific photographic projects, though. And I do it for two reasons. 1. I simply like seeing a project growing. 2. Most stock photography services I work with pick up tags automatically, so tagging photos in digiKam saves my some time and effort. Oh, and I use picks to track my submissions.

Kind regards,
Dmitri
---
Tōkyō Made - https://tokyoma.de/