[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

Helen Jelen inomniapar4tus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:23:45 BST 2022

Hi,

Using digikam for about 5 years, with around 150k pics in the DB. I mainly
take pictures of events with family and friends with a bridge camera and a
phone, but I also take personal pictures (non-family nor friend's: job
ones, reminders, etc.):

Therefore I have 3 root albums:

1. Family and 2. personal:

a) important albums are named yyyy-mm-dd + a description (2022-10-01 Mike's
birthday). If for a trip folder, it contains subfolders for each day of the
trip, same naming structure.

b) less important pictures are stored in monthly folders (2022-10 Misc)

3. Mobile: for personal stuff, non important pictures, so they are
classified directly into monthly folders.

I use tags to cross-group albums ("birthdays", and in there, "Mike", for
pictures of Mike's birthdays over the years).

I use stars for grading (5*=top picture, 3*=good, 0*=not rated/not
important).

I use thumbnails for the folder to distinguish if that folder has been
graded or not.

And finally, I use flags to identify any album being graded or ready to be
shared with f&f on social networks/Google drive/Dropbox/etc.

Hope it helps!

h.