[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Mon Oct 17 14:43:41 BST 2022

For more than 10 years, I have been using the same system to organize
the files, so maybe I should change it, but here is what I use currently.

I completely abandoned using subjects for storing when I discovered tags
a few years ago. I use tags exclusively, and I improved my way of using
tags when I switched to Digikam, which was the first to offer me
hierarchical tagging. I seldom use descriptions. I only use ratings to
help me clean my images, from 1 star = [should probably be deleted], to
5 stars = [I  am happy enough about it to use it as a screensaver or a
desktop background] (0 stars means of course I haven't rated it yet). 4
is good, but nothing to be proud about. 3 means I keep them for
historical reasons (maybe to keep track of something or someone, maybe
because the picture is part of a series...).

For the folder structure, I use something like Antti : one folder per
year or year and period, depending on the number of files, for example
"2005", "2009-08" and "2009-09..12". I could have used only folders at
the first level and created subfolders for periods, I may change my mind
some day. Some of these folders have subfolders, for the pictures in a
series. All sorting, searching, classifying and so on is done in
Digikam, I use the folders when I want to do backups or use another
software on a specific image (I have yet to find out how to setup
Digikam for this), so that the exact folder structure is not really
meaningful, the only requirement is making files easy to find, which
means having not too many folders and not too many files per folder. I
break a folder in two or more when it contains too many files. "Too
many" depends of course on your computer and your OS, in my situation
the biggest folders have a little more 800 files, I set the splitting
limit at around 500 photos.

Now that I think a bit, maybe lowering a little the number of files per
folder (and creating the required folders) would improve things a bit,
make the whole structure more balanced.  Anyhow, I don't see any reason
to use a completely different system.

--
Frederic

--