[digiKam-users] high-level photo organization

Sheridan Price sheridanmp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:40:31 BST 2022

Because of the built in date functions I've found it more useful to store
photos under descriptive folders as in:
year then a sub folder having a name that is some description for that
shoot. Hence I might have 2022/Experimental Farm/May.   2022/Experimental
Farm/July.

And why you might ask? Well I have found that mentally if I am looking for
a particular photo or set of photos I can usually remember the year and
event and hence can find it quickly in digikam  by going directly to the
folder - no search necessary. If I only know part of the info then I can do
proper searches via the search tools and when displayed the folder path
often helps jog my memory to help zero in quickly to the correct folder
without having to actually consider each individual folder.

This does not preclude using useful tags on each photo. That allows for
real detailed and extensive searches. This just makes some quick searches
quicker.

Sher