[digiKam-users] Updating raw file dates

Alan H webaccounts at live.com
Sat Oct 15 19:30:23 BST 2022

I have a large collection of digitized slides and photos. Perhaps I should have thought of changing the camera’s date to the date the photo was taken, but I didn’t. I have been using exiftool to change the dates for both jpg and raw photos with no ill effects (after 1000s) from editing a raw file’s date metadata.

The work flow would be so much faster and convenient if I could do everything (captions, ratings, etc as well as dates) in digicam. I still have 1000s of photos to go. My experience though is that digicam will not update the raw file’s date metadata. It only writes it to a sidecar xmp.

In the configuration settings there is a check box for writing to raw files (“dangerous” it says). If I am only changing the value of a metadata block/field that is already present, could I just check that for when dates are being edited and then change it back for everything else? Does “Exiv2 library” work the same as exiftool for which I have never had a problem? Digikam 7.6.0, Windows 10. Thanks. Alan