[digiKam-users] Configure notifications not working?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 04:37:43 BST 2022

Hi all,

> I have to admit I've never tried it. But it works here with my native digiKam
> developer version and a plasma desktop. I suspect that it also only works with
> a Plasma KF5 desktop, as activation is done via the system notification widget.

Exactly. This is for Plasma desktop only.

> For a non-Kf5 desktop, we use our own notification widget. Gilles will correct
> me if I'm wrong.

yes, through this wrapper :

https://invent.kde.org/graphics/digikam/-/tree/master/core/libs/notificationmanager

The configure notifications dialog comes from KDE frameworks and it's
common to all KDE Applications, but it"s limited to Plasma desktop of
course. This is why digiKam as a notification wrapper, but the KDE
framework class does not use it as these classes are positioned at a
lower level than digiKam while compiling.

Typically, the KDE notification module must be not used in digiKam
with AppImage, because we don't know if Plasma desktop will be used in
the background.

In fact the native Linux digiKam version will also be unusable with
the KDE notifications module in another Linux desktop.

Note MacOS and Windows do not use the KDE notifications module at all.

Gilles