[digiKam-users] bug in tag filter?

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Mon Oct 3 20:15:29 BST 2022

Hi,

I am organizing my photos using hierarchical tags. I've discovered an inconsistency in how the tag filter (right hand pane) and the tag view (left hand pane).

When selecting images via the tag view, if I select the child parent tag of a branch, it shows me all images that have a tag from anywhere in that branch. e.g., if I have a tag branch of `places/canada/ontario`, and I pick `places/canada` I'll see all images with the `canada` tag, and also any images with the `ontario` tag.

In contrast, if I select `places/canada` in the tags filter in the right hand pane, I only see images with the `canada` tag, not images with the `ontario` tag (unless they've manually been tagged with `canada` as well.

This was previously discussed on this list: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-users/2018-February/026293.html

Under the 'view' menu I have ticked the box for `include tag subtree`.

Is this deliberate, or a bug?

It is awkward for my preferred use case. I want to select an album in the album view on the left, then filter it for images from `canada` using the filter on the right. As it is, I have to check the boxes for `canada` and all child tags manually to get this to work, or I have to add the `canada` tag to all images with any of the child tags ticked. This seems less flexible.

Thanks,

Tyler

--
plantarum.ca