[digiKam-users] Simple keyboard shortcut question

ajaxx at tase.com ajaxx at tase.com
Tue Nov 29 14:59:13 GMT 2022

i try hard to find answers on my own.  But after reading the digiKam
Handbook, the shortcut configura-
tion in KDE applications page and more than a few searches, I am still
confused.

I want to use the Preview window for culling and tagging.  I select Tags
or delete images (toolbar button) with the mouse (right-handed).  With
my left, I want to move forward (next picture) and back (previous
picture) via keyboard shortcuts.  I know there is a forward (>) and back
(<) on the left side of the Preview window, but I don't want to move the
mouse across the screen while I could do it faster and more comfortably
with my left hand and a keyboard shortcut.  The default shortcuts are
Alt+Left and Alt+Right. Both of these defaults makes me reach all the
way across to the right-hand side of the keyboard and using the Alt+ is
uncomfortable.

My thought was, use "b" for back and "f" for forward.  They are much
better for my left hand.

I set a custom key "b" for back and saved it.

In Preview, when I hit "b" digiKam moves my sub-album selection to the
top album. Not what I expected.

All this is to say, can I use single key strokes like b and f as
shortcuts?  (and how do I do it...)

digiKam 7.8.0 / MariaDB 10.10 / Windows 10

Thanks