[digiKam-users] Keyword hierarchy

Steve Franks stevef48 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:46:57 GMT 2022

I don’t see any disadvantages to hierarchical keywords(tags), but there are
many advantages.
Most image organisers understand hierarchies, but be aware they sometimes
use different characters to separate elements. E.g. |\./, have all been
seen in different software over the years.
I think that the way digikam works with hierarchical structures is one of
the best. It is very easy to move tags from one branch to another and to
merge tags. Both actions, which are more difficult to do In Lightroom and
IMatch.
Personally I use folders to organise when photos were taken:-
E.g.
2022
    2022-01-January
    2022-02-February
 Etc.
My tag hierarchy is complicated, because it is the result of over 20 years
of experience. The main thing IMHO is for the hierarchy to be able to
answer Who, What and Where as simply as possible.
I hope this helps
Steve