[digiKam-users] Migrate db/collection to new OS (windows->mac)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:25:12 BST 2022

Hi,

The best way to migrate collection is to integrate digiKam information
in file metadata or XMP sidecar.

Under Windows, rewrite metadata from database to files and move
collection to MacOS. From a fresh account, point the digiKam
collection to the path to scan all files in the database. Depending of
the collection size, this can take a while.

Another solution is to migrate database files, where you patch
collection paths. The path between MAcOS and Windows is slightly
different. So this kind of internal modification can be tedious.

Last possibility is to use a remote database, in a NAS for example.
The database will be stored on the NAS, as the collection, and it will
become common to the both computers. This will simplify the migration
for the future as all files are not stored in the computer, but you
become dependent of the network of course. Take care that the database
cannot be accessed to both computers at the same time, there is no
lock yet in digiKam for this kind of use.

Best

Gilles Caulier