[digiKam-users] How do you Import from Android phone on Windows?

Pete Lindgren petelindgren at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:29:34 BST 2022

Hi,

Digikam 7.6.0
Windows 10 Pro

I'm trying to import pictures from my Android phone into digiKam on Windows
but can't find my phone within the Import section of digiKam.

When I plug in my Android phone it appears as a 'Device' under the 'Devices
and drives' section of 'This PC' in File explorer. If I put the phone in
PTP mode, the icon representing the phone is a camera, and if I put the
phone in MTP mode, the icon representing the phone looks like a phone.

In neither case does the phone appear as a removable storage with a drive
letter attached. Nor can I map a drive letter to it in the typical way.

In digiKam, I can't find any way to select the phone in the Import options.
When I click 'Import > Cameras > Add Camera Manually', I'm presented with
the Camera Settings pop up with the central camera list blank. When I click
the 'Add...' button, the resulting pop up also shows a blank list. I can't
specify the phone manually as a USB device because windows doesn't give it
mount path as such. And I can't choose 'USB PTP Class Camera' as advised in
the text of the pop up because the camera list is empty.

Any advice on how I can import from my Android phone on Windows gratefully
received.

Kind regards,
Peter