[digiKam-users] Date of Photo Import

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Fri Mar 18 06:21:42 GMT 2022

On 17/03/2022 02:35, digikam at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 20:56:48 +0100
> Sebastian Beer <sebastian.beer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also import photos into folders with their names being the date
>> of the photo taken. For example „2022 03 15“. But I import photos
>> from different cameras and don’t do this always on the same day.
>> Therefore I usually have a mixture in one folder consisting of
>> photos already tagged and photos not yet tagged. Therefore it would
>> be great to search for photos as per their import date.
>>
> I also do the tagging in batches and I'm not as diligent as I should
> be. I use:
>
> search > advanced search > file/albums (all or just some) > tags:
> item has no tag: checked
>
> That way I have images without any tag. The bigger problem for me is
> when there's already 1 tag and I want to further refine, like change
> tag or add another tag...

I have a similar process, but I use a trick to "resume" the tagging. It
leverages the fact that my tags are hierarchical:

Event
+ Event1
+ Event2
+ Event3
People
+ Person1
+ Person2
+ Person3
+ NoPeople
Location
+ Country1
++ City1
+ Country2
+ NoLocation
Keywords
+ Keyword1
+ NoKeyword

Typically, when I import a set of files, I set immediately an Event, but
not the other tags.

Later on, I search for files not having tags in People, Location or
Keywords and then I can tag them accordingly.

If there is no need to set a tag in the specific category, then I set
the "NoXyz" tag, so that the files just disappear from the corresponding
search.

There is one thing to know though for this to work: in the Tags tree
view, it is easy to see what files already have tag in the category
"People": activate "View / Include Tag Sub-Tree" in the menu, and select
People in the tree view. However, logically, it is not possible to see
files that do NOT have a tag in the category. Unfortunately, the
"Search" function does not help in this case, because it does not have
the equivalent of " Include Tag Sub-Tree". So just make sure that all
files with a tag underneath "People" also have the tag "People" itself.
It is easy to do in batch using "View / Include Tag Sub-Tree": just
activate it, select all files, and assign to all of them the "People"
tag. Then you can use the normal search by tag to find all files that
don't have the "People" tag.

I wish the search function had a "Include Tag Sub-Tree" function, that
would simplify my workflow.

Olivier