[digiKam-users] how to tag in batch mode

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 15 10:24:58 GMT 2022

On mardi 15 mars 2022 10:29:20 CET digikam-users.johnny1000 at spamgourmet.com
wrote:
> Hi Gord,
>
> I tried to find a setting for such behaviour, but I couldn't find any.
> It could be there, only I overlooked it, or didn't recognize it being
> such functionality.
>
> You could consider the possibility that your installation has become a
> bit buggy somehow.
> You could create a new user on your system, and make a standard digiKam
> installation there, and see if it behaves in the same way.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> Best regards :o)
>
> Johnny :o)
>
> Den 15.03.2022 kl. 00.38 skrev WuliNuChem - restivog at gmail.com:
> > Going back to Johnny's comment that when he selects multiple photos and
> > adds a caption they are appended to existing captions. Whereas when I do
> > it, the existing captions are overwritten. I cannot find a setting that
> > selects between the two.
> > Does anyone know how to do this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gord
It might also be due to the way both of you handle captions.

If I select multiple images with different caption, the caption text of the
last selected image is shown grayed out in the edit box. I then can edit that
text, and apply. That will *replace* the existing caption for all selected
images.
If the caption is the same for all the selected images, the text is not grayed
out, and the visual effect is an *edit* of all captions (which has the same
final effect: all selected images have the same caption applied to them).

*Appending* to existing captions is problematic in any case, when you have
different captions on the selected images... Exactly what do you append? only
the added text? And what if you change something in the existing caption text?

For tags, something similar happens: any tag where the state is changed has
that change applied to all selected images, tags I haven't touched are not
modified.

Remco