[digiKam-users] migrate settings to a new machine

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:57:01 GMT 2022

Hi,

I suppose that Snap will embed application configuration into the sandbox.
>From my viewpoint, it's a bad concept, invented by paranoid developers.

AppImage is different, more easy to use, with less security rules on the
basis. The configuration is stored at the same place as the native
application.
If you want to run the AppImage in a sandbox, you can do it with extension,
but it's a user choice...

This is why we choose to support AppImage instead Snap or Flatpak.
Simplicity and robustness.

Note: I saw today a thread in reddit SN about the Kate text editor which
left the Flatpak bundling. The comments and feedbacks are very instructive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/t9fye8/why_kate_is_endoflife_on_flathub/

Best

Gilles Caulier