[digiKam-users] Rename/Continue/Overwrite copy errors w/duplicate filenames

Shel Ritter shelritterbmw at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 04:52:07 BST 2022

I'm trying to copy a large group of files to a folder where I can work
on them for use outside of Digikam. But many share the same filename,
and Digikam pops up a status window showing a list of files with
duplicate filenames it can't copy. Apparently Digikam is supposed to
show me a 'File conflict' popup menu asking if I want to Rename,
Continue, Overwrite or Cancel the operation.

I see this issue was addressed 5 years ago here:
https://kde-bugs-dist.kde.narkive.com/5gmjhirf/digikam-bug-381625-new-copying-moving-photograph-files-between-albums-does-not-give-overwrite

When I try copying the same group of files a 2nd time, that 'File
conflict' popup does appear. But when I choose 'Rename automatically',
it only copies the 1st file with a duplicate filename, renaming it
properly, but just showing errors trying to copy the rest. I don't want
to have Digikam rename files in its library, as it would pose a
nightmare correcting them in indexes of other programs.

I have v7.3.0 installed on my Windows PC, and I don't see any mention of
the issue having been addressed in any subsequent versions. Am I missing
something?

Thanks for any feedback on this.
Shel