[digiKam-users] Failed to connect to the camera

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Wed Jun 8 07:01:06 BST 2022

On 07/06/2022 22:42, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> The problem is known, a system applet is running under Ubuntu/Gnome that
> occupies the USB port, so that another GPhoto2 can no longer access it.
> digiKam requires direct access and does not use the Gnome applet or under
> Plasma KIO.

Hi Mike,

thanks for putting me on the right track. I found that a quick and easy
workaround is to eject the device from the Gnome file browser before
using the import function of digiKam. It is also possible to do it from
the command line:

gio mount --list

gio mount --unmount mtp://...

It would be nice to give users the hint, in the application and/or the
FAQ. Ubuntu is a pretty common distribution. Apparently, the issue can
also occur on other systems. Here is a proposal for the FAQ:

      digiKam sees my camera, but fails to access it

When using the import function, you may see the device, but trying to
access it leads to the following error message:

"Failed to connect to the camera: Please make sure it is connected
properly and turned on".

Usually, this is because another application on the system is using the
device already. Gnome (gvfs) is known to cause this issue. You can just
eject the device in the Gnome file browser before using the import
function of digiKam. In general, check what other software or parts of
the operating system could use the device, and stop them.

Olivier