[digiKam-users] importing photos - strange behaviour

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 6 16:22:43 BST 2022

On lundi 6 juin 2022 16:19:00 CEST Maik Qualmann wrote:
> So that the date is actually read from the metadata, the option "Use file
> metadata (makes the connection slower)" must be activated in the digiKam
> Settings-> Camera-> Behavior. This was also the case with digiKam-7.3.0. It
> doesn't explain the huge loss in file size. I assume that no conversion to
> JPG/ PNG or DNG is active. What if they don't put the document name in the
> metadata?

A change in filesize seems to imply that digikam is not just copying the file
contents on import, but also modifying them...

For what it's worth: I do not see a change in filesize on just importing from
an SD card (through a card reader, with no change of filename). But those are
raw files (.ARW to be precise), and all options to allow digikam to write to
raw files are disabled.

What type of files is OP importing? And how were the file sizes reported
(directly in bytes, or translated from MB/MiB)?

Remco