[digiKam-users] 7.5.0 Appimage won't start

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:37:20 GMT 2022

Hi,

Also to read in this thread :

https://discourse.appimage.org/t/will-a-new-appimage-run-on-older-distributions/84

"Probono" is the AppImage toolkit author, and he explains well the
problematic of binary compatibility issue with older systems.

I would also add a comment here:

I have spent my main free time since a few years ago to maintain all the
bundles (AppImage, Windows, and MacOS). This job is time consuming, it's
very important to promote the project on the main platform.

Even if the application is packaged on Linux, it's not up-to-date quickly.
This is the goal of AppImage, to provide all days a runnable version to
test the last change very quickly. It's not perfect, even if i improve all
day by day as i fixed a huge problem to support internationalization in the
search tool of digiKam 7.6.0 (typically using non latin1 characters do not
work on AppImage < 7.6.0 in search text string everywhere in digiKam).

MacOS and Windows also need to be packaged by the team, we have no other
choice.

And remember that in the future, I'm sure that Windows and MacOS will
require signed installers for security reasons, which require to pay at
least 100euros to Apple and M$, which is unacceptable for open source
projects (this is my viewpoint of course).

To resume about AppImage : I think it's the best and quick solution to use
a prepackaged Linux version, fine tuned by the team. It is just a simple
file to execute, nothing to install, nothing is installed. It's simple, but
not perfect of course with compatibility. There are also Flatpak and Snap
packages which run in a sandbox for security reasons. Sure it's more safe,
but it's the hell to use and configure. I don't like these packaging
systems.

Best

Gilles Caulier