[digiKam-users] repointing new 7.5 upgrade to old 6.0 collection with existing files

Ty Mayn tyrus.mayn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:51:16 GMT 2022

 I see that another way of hiding a working program and collection during
the transition to a new version is to create a new user and segregate until
the new version is proven.
    It seems to me that hiding the digikamrc file alone is sufficient to
let the new program show its true colors.
But let me return to the events of a new install
1. will the install process seek to use the same "digiKam" folder in
Program Files
     if so I will ask the install to go somewhere else
2. digikamrc    Is there any other file which is serving as the persistent
memory of chosen display and behavior variables for digikam?
         Does the installation code ask for install to probe for digikamrc
and inherit/preserve any settings that have been chosen within older
version operations?
         Does installation look in /User/user/AppData/Local for at least on
occurrence of a digikamrc (evidence of a preexisting install)?
         Are there any other files for persistence of program
config,behavior, or carryover data?
      Would it not be sufficient to just hide digikamrc away from
/user/AppData/Local  during a new install
     and then edit the newly arrived digikamrc for the database path
statements?
   I am OK with having a clean slate of default  config variables in the
newly delivered digikamrc

3. database files    I hope that digikam installation does not go probing
through a hard drive looking for possible collections or recognizable names
of database files.     I much prefer to point a program to its place of
work.
    So perhaps I dont have to "hide" the database files  or temporarily
move them off of the drive as I intended in the plan at the top of this
thread.  So if the install program is not aggressive about automatically
searching for existing database in all readable folders  then I can
temporarily hide the database files  simply by not offering a digikamrc file

       Hiding the entire user is one way to hide the digikamrc file ....is
that the only critical file to hide  to get a new config?
Thanks
Ty