[digiKam-users] Local thumbnail database with NAS in 7.5

Bryan Gillson outlook_AD90A94FA465392E at outlook.com
Sat Jan 22 00:13:53 GMT 2022

I was very excited to see the new functionality enabling a local Sqlite database to be used while the core db runs on MariaDB on a NAS. This should dramatically speed up my configuration – thank you!

What is the best way to implement this in an existing environment? Should I use the Settings -> Database Migration function and specify a local folder for Thumbs DB in the right-side (migrate to) pane? Or simply specify the local folder in database configuration under Settings -> Configure DigiKam? If the latter option, will the entire thumbs db be rebuilt at once, or incrementally as needed?

I have three systems running against a common NAS, with about 100,000 photos with the Thumbs Db in a MariaDB on the NAS. Two systems use Windows 10, one Mac OS.

If I migrate one Windows system, can I simply copy the thumbnails-digikam.db file to the other system and point to it in Configure DigiKam?

Thanks.