[digiKam-users] album changes removal without reduction in thumbnail.db or digikam4.eb

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 22 06:54:08 GMT 2022

On samedi 22 janvier 2022 02:41:46 CET Ty Mayn wrote:
> In my narrative of this behavior I cant be sure how my backup image
> collection became duplicated into the digi databases
> It could easily have been confused experimenting on my part.  But i have
> carefully witnessed an album removal without a concurrent shrinking of any
> digikam database (thumbnail file especially observed)
>     The point of this post is that I carefully watched the outcome of using
> the trash can choice to remove the unwanted collection and carefully the
> databases did not change byte size.    The removed listing was in the
> category " collections of portable media"   The listing surely did
> disappear and the entire Tree for that collections of duplicates also
> disappeared from the Browser pane. I did that removal while having the
> actual collection out of reach (thumbnail not plugged in)
> In later iterations of digikam if I plug that thumbnail back in there is
> certainly no "revival" the deleted collection
>     But the 4 digikam files remain the same size as before removal and
> during multliple startups
Have you tried to use the maintenance tool to "clean database". Can be very
slow (see notes in the tool), and might not work for non-accessible remote
collections.

Usually, you can also clean up databases through the command line, but that
might be more risky.

In any case, best make a copy of the databases before experimenting.