[digiKam-users] DK 7.4 - Experience with using MariaDB on NAS and local thumbnails

daj omu dajomu1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:51:31 GMT 2022

Hi,

I was really looking forward to DK 7.4 so that I could use MariaDB on a NAS
while keeping the thumb-nail DB locally. Using only a wireless connection I
can say that it did not work as expected.
I actually believed that scrolling a folder with many thumbnails would be
without hassle as long at the thumbnails were store on a local DB, but alas
it is very slow. I had a folder with about 300 photos and scrolling were
extremely slow and the thumbnails did not keep up with my "slow" scrolling.
I changed back to storing all DB´ locally and the problem disappeared. I
just tested on a folder with more than 1300 photos and it was extremely
fast. All thumbnails appeared in an instant.

dajomu