[digiKam-users] Synchronizing metadata?

daj omu dajomu1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 09:34:16 GMT 2022

Hi,

I tried to use DK with a remote server (LAN) and storing the thumbnails
locally, but for me it was too slow so I went back to keep all DB´s
locally. So unless you are using a cabled network remote server is not a
good solution in my opinion.
In addition to storing the photos on a NAS I backup to Google Photos (GP).
Being clever I tried to store the faces into the image metadata so that any
computer could recognize the faces. If it hadn´t been for GP reading the
changed photos as new photos that would have worked fine I guess. When GP
saw the "new" photos, Google Drive started to back them up again and
created a lot of duplicates in GP. Photos that were taken in 2005 suddenly
appeared with today's date. Luckily all of them had the same modified date
so I was able to delete them all quite easily.
If GP could read "date taken" instead of "modified date" I would probably
have chosen to store faces in the metadata.

dajomu