[digiKam-users] Free floating albums list possible - or alternatively duplicate DK windows?

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 8 14:27:21 BST 2022

On lundi 8 août 2022 14:24:39 CEST Thomas wrote:
> Yeah, using stuff like flags, labels and stars only work inside DK so
> will not integrate with other tools. Thus, this is not an option. I will
> have to rely on good old folders...

Can you have at the same time both an album
'/photos/<year>/<yyyy-mm-dd>-<album-name>' and an album
'/photos/<year>/in/<yyyy-mm-dd>/<yyyy-mm-dd>-<album-name>'

If not, the easiest solution might be to just rename the album from within
Digikam when processing is finished. That should move the album to its proper
place in the hierarchy (an album rename in digikam should translate to a
directory rename in the filesystem).

If that still means you have to move dozens of albums at the time, there's
something funny in your workflow, or you're part of a team and responsable for
the final disposition. The numbers also seem to indicate at a group effort
("thousands of photos", "dozens of albums" from one download...). Nothing
wrong with that, but I think most here think as a single photographer, with
1-3 sessions/day maximum. And I think that's the situation for which digikam
is developed.

But not knowing where digikam fits in your workflow (and why digikam) makes it
hard to think about solutions.
E.g. if you are working under linux, one option that comes to mind is having
an empty file in albums that are *not* ready to be moved. Once the album is
ready, remove the flag file. Then a shell script can run over all the albums
in your ../in/.. tree and move those that miss the flag file.

Or, you could do the final moving from outside digikam with a file manager.

In both cases, you then let digikam sort out the changes on next start-up.
Preferably as soon as you have finished moving albums around, or overnight,
it's an operation that can be rather lenghty.