[digiKam-users] Tags written by Gimp not read by digiKam

Milind Joshi mmjoshi at iitbombay.org
Wed Apr 13 11:48:09 BST 2022

On mardi 12 avril 2022 14:30:12 CEST Milind Joshi wrote:
 > Can digiKam read tags written by Gimp? I have catalogs in digiKam which
 > contain RAW (PEF, ARW, DNG) imagesĀ  These files are tagged using digiKam
 > tags. I copy selected files to a different folder for editing in Gimp.
 > After editing these image in Gimp, I add some tags to the images in
 > Gimp. After adding the tags, I export these files as a tiff files.
 > However, when I add the files to the digiKam catalog, these tags are
 > missing. However, these tags can be seen in Exifview. I also tried the
 > option to "read tags from file option" in digiKam. Still these tags are
 > ignored. Is there an option that I need to turn on?
 >
 > mj

Which metadata tags are added by Gimp? Not the keywords/tags as you write
them, but the metadata tag names as shown by Exifview (e.g. with EXIV2
,I see
Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject storing my keywords, but so do
Xmp.MicrosoftPhoto.LastKeywordXMP and Xmp.mediapro.CatalogSets;
there are four tags that contain the description I added...)

There are a lot of semi-standard tag names and name spaces used to store
keywords, and by default Digikam only reads some of them.

Remco

Thanks Remco. Don't have much knowledge about how metadata are stored in
digiKam or Gimp. However, I will explain my workflow below:

01. Tag file (in this case an ARW file) in digiKam. Image A.

02. Edit that file in ART. Can see the tags assigned by digiKam here.
Image B.

03. Within ART, open the file in an external editor Gimp in my case.

04. Verify that Gimp can see the tags assigned by digiKam. Image C.

05. Export the file as tiff.

06. Import the file in digiKam catalog. Verify the tags originally
assigned by digiKam are still present. Image D.

07. Reopen the tiff file in Gimp. Assign an additional tag. Replace the
tiff file with this file. Image E.

08. Refresh the digiKam catalog. The tag assigned by Gimp is missing.
It's missing even after the metadata from the file is read by digiKam.
Image F.

09. Verify the tag written by Gimp is present in the tiff file by
opening it in ExifView. Image G.

Have also attached the screenshots.

I hope this information will be adequate. Can provide further
information if necessary.