[digiKam-users] Tags written by Gimp not read by digiKam

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 14 17:28:40 BST 2022

On jeudi 14 avril 2022 18:18:25 CEST Steve Franks wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 07:07, Milind Joshi <mmjoshi at iitbombay.org> wrote:
> > Thanks Steve.
> >
> > I had sent a detailed response to Remco with some screenshots. This
> > response is still pending moderator's approval, I guess because it had
> > many
> > attachments. Is there any other way of sharing images?
> >
> > I think digiKam writes tag information to the tiff file itself. I haven't
> > seen any sidecar (xmp) files being created for tiff files, though they get
> > created for .pef and .arw files. In any case I have ticked options, "Read
> > from sidecar files, Write to sidecar files (Write to XMP sidecar for
> > read-only item only) and Sidecar files are compatible with commercial
> > programs."
> >
> > HTH.
> >

> > To share a lot of images, you could put them on Flickr, or Dropbox (other
>
> file sharing services are available), and share a link to them.
> SRF
Two things:
- if you tick the "Write to XMP sidecar for read-only item only", you won't
get a sidecar for a tiff file, it's considered a writable format... The
"Sidecar files are compatible with commercial programs" then also becomes a
no-op (as there is no sidecar...).

And I thought you problem was that Digikam didn't *read* metadata, written by
Gimp.

- I don't really need screenshots anyway, what you need to figure out is which
metadata tags the Gimp uses for keywords (use Exiftool or EXIV2 for that).
Then you can check if those are read by digikam.

If that doesn't work, I'd rather see a sample file which has the problem you
describe. Even a shot of a white piece of paper with a few keywords added in
the gimp should work...