[digiKam-users] Two issues with accented charcters

Frédéric Da Vitoria davito9w at free.fr
Tue Apr 12 07:16:25 BST 2022

Hello

I found strange problems with accented characters in the Author.

Background: I am using digiKam 7.6.0 on Windows 11. I have more than 20
000 photos (and a few movies) in my digiKam database.

My first name has accents in it (Frédéric). While browsing my collection
in digiKam, I noticed that sometimes, digiKam seemed to have a problem
with the "é" and replaced it with a "?" (actually, this is a question
mark in a lozenge, but I don't know how to generate it in a mail) so
that my first name appeared as "Fr?d?ric". So I decided to search for
"Fr?d?ric" and put back the correct characters. Using Advanced search,
digiKam found 140 items with "Fr?d?ric".

I tried to correct the first photo. As expected, in the edit metadata
dialogue, digiKam showed me "Fr?d?ric". I changed it to "Frédéric" and
hit Enter. But digiKam still shows "Fr?d?ric" on the Information tab of
the Captions section. If I open again the metadata editor, I see
"Frédéric". When I try to refresh the results (by editing the search and
hitting enter without changing anything), digiKam brings again the 140
items, including the "corrected" photo. So am I unable to refresh the
results, or is the edited name as wrong as the incorrect name, or is
this actually a bug?

Then I thought of copying "Frédéric" from a photo where it appeared
correctly. But when I open the metadata editor on any picture where the
author is "Frédéric", I always get "Fr?d?ric". So here again digiKam's
behaviour is not consistent, it shows "Frédéric" on the Information tab
of the Captions section, but "Fr?d?ric" when I try to edit it. And I
don't know what is right any more!

Actually, I am thinking of changing my name first to Frederic without
any accents, this will avoid problems with any software

--
Frédéric Da Vitoria