[digiKam-users] New to digiKam, could use some help

Katie Delia terina00 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 02:28:54 BST 2022

Hi, I'm new, and haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for.  There is a lot of documentation,so I apologize if I'm missing it somewhere.

I keep my pictures in files on my computer.  It looks like digiKam copies the images to the program as opposed to loading them from my files, meaning if I move the files on my hard drive they don't move in digiKam.  Is that correct?  For instance, I dump all new pictures into file called "New Folder," then move them to folders based on the year, event, etc.  So "New Folder" and "2022" would be under the file "Pictures."  I'd like it so digiKam just sees everything in "Pictures" without having to load the pictures.  Is that possible?

Secondly, I can't seem to get the face tags to be written in the metadata.  I fixed the settings under metadata, but it still doesn't seem to be working.  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!