[digiKam-users] Import category list into Digikam

Christian Grandclément magnus.christianus at orange.fr
Mon Sep 6 14:06:34 BST 2021

Hello !

I'm trying to use *Digikam (v. 7.3.0 Win64)*, for replacing my present
pictures management software (Photools imatch) that I find much too
complicated, akward to use and poorly suited to some very basic fonctions.

My present question is *how to import into Digikam the hierarchical
categories I'm presently using* (syntax is like
_Persons.Family.FamilyCell.Child X_ or
_Information.Culture.Civilization.Italian Roman_, with up to 5 levels of
indentation). The list of categories is on a _text file_. I need to
import it, so as to be able to assign one or several categories to each
new picture.
The import operation must be automatic, since the category list
comprises now over 1200 entries.

I hope there is a means to do this. If not, I will not be able to use
Digikam in a better way than now, i.e. as picture (and tag) viewer.

Thank you in advance, and kind regards

Christian Grandclement