[digiKam-users] Moving / Sharing collection between external HD and internal HD

Warren Baird warren at warrenbaird.ca
Thu Oct 14 02:40:00 BST 2021

Hi all,

I've done a bunch of googling, and have not been able to find any
answers for this, so hopefully someone here can help.

For the past few years I've been using digikam on a laptop (running Linux
Mint) to manage a collection on an external HD.   I recently built a
desktop PC (also running Linux Mint) that has a big enough internal disk
and I'd like to copy the collection from the external drive to the internal
drive.

I found a thread from 2015 talking about moving a collection from one
internal disk to another, and it sounds like if you remove the internal
disk and add a new disk with the same path, it should 'just work'...   but
since it's an external drive I can't figure out how to make that work.

Any suggestions?

Ideally in fact, I'd like a way to basically 'share' or 'mirror' the
collection between the internal and external drives - if I'm travelling
(assuming that ever happens again), I'd like to be able to sync the
internal drive with the external drive, use it with my laptop during the
trip, and then sync all the changes again after the trip...

Is there any way to achieve that?

Thanks in advance!!!

Warren

Warren Baird - warren at warrenbaird.ca