[digiKam-users] wastebin problem

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Fri Mar 12 01:06:59 GMT 2021

Hi there,

I have a major problem with digikam's wastebin.
It started with suddenly having part of my main album duplicated, with
all the files in it "hidden". No idea how that happened, but the
duplicate was suddenly there. I double checked, seemed all to be in
duplicate, so I moved the double to the wastebin. That did also move the
whole (and not just the duplicated parts) of the original album to the
wastebin.

So far, so bad. Went into the wastebin, selected all the bloody files
and clicked restore.
Result: 2 subfolders of the album are (possibly) restored, the rest went
to Nirvana, and some 18000+ files are still in the wastebin. Selecting
those and hitting restore results in some intense cpu action, the
wastebin going to 0 files, no change in the album and when leaving and
then returning to the wastebin, the same files are still in it.
(Interestingly, deleting these files took hardly any time at all, while
restoring them seems to take forever.)

Luckily, it seems the most important (i.e., not back-uped) folder is
restored, though I'm hesitant hitting the "repair hidden items"  entry
considering the rather unexpected way the wastebin responds.

Digikam 7.1.0 under Manjaro and XFCE.

Any suggestions how to proceed without messing things up even more?

--
Sincerely,

Andreas T. Ege
Dr. med. vet., MRCVS, MABVA