[digiKam-users] Raw processing

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:21:01 GMT 2021

Le dim. 7 mars 2021 à 16:54, frederic chaume
<frederic.chaume at gmail.com> a écrit :

> thanks Gilles for your answer and support
>
> (continously learning on DK :-)
>
> some question inline
>
> Le 07/03/2021 à 16:32, Gilles Caulier a écrit :
> > Le dim. 7 mars 2021 à 15:05, frederic chaume
> > <frederic.chaume at gmail.com> a écrit :
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I have a camera Olympus OM10 and shooting in Raw+JPEG mode
> >>
> >> I'm using DK 7.2 RC and I have the feeling that the JPEG genarated by DK
> >> from the raw is less sharp  than the one generated by the camera.
> >>
> >> is someone has the same feeling ?  is there a particular option in the
> >> import that could improve ?
> > Demosaicing is important here. Do not use half methods which generate
> > a reduced RAW image from decoding.
> I was using bilinear by defaut but what are the "half methods" you are
> talking about ? what is the best method for quality ? (I tried AHD, but
> don't see lots of difference with bilinear )

The difference will be in-deed around pixels. This depend of camera
type and algorithm used by libraw engine. I cannot give a generic
response here.

If you enable noise reduction while demosaicing, this will blur a
little bit the image.

Look well at all other settings descriptions.

Else, I always apply a small unsharp mask on my photo, and sometimes a
local contrast to improve coor dynamic automatically. BQM helps a lot
to batch processes in this way, when right settings are found to
process a series.

> >> By the way , do we have somewhere a
> >> description of all the options available in the raw import tool ?
> > Use SHIFT+F1 over widget or enable tooltips in Plasma settings.
>
> shift-F1 is working well , but one time, so need to reactivate each time
> I'm using it. how to enable tooltips ? (I'm on windows and french version)

Good Q, as never tried this context.

> > https://imgur.com/7PDVX6o
> in the snapshot I see a window showing the list of camera, how do you
> get it ?

from Help menu, RAW camera info support