[digiKam-users] Complete newb need help

Gr8fulmomma h gr8fulmomma at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 23:34:51 BST 2021

Thank you for your reply.

I'm a learner that learns by being shown/doing so having to read then
figure it out is very difficult for me.  I appreciate your patience.  I
love videos that are very in depth for that reason but I have not found any
yet that begin an intro to dk that aren't about getting started
installing.  I'm still searching and watching.

That said, if I'm correctly understanding I can to import my photos into
file explorer following my normal method (year folder -> month folder) then
digikam will find them and add to its database in that form.

What I am interested in is how to configure dk to be able to dump directly
there (skipping the file explorer step) and have it sort them into
year/month/day folders for me so I can tag them (which will be new for
me).  In the past I've had to choose to split a group of photos up into
multiple months such as vacation pics that overlap 2 months or to make a
special folder by event that is just placed in the year but not any month.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how exactly it functions...it could be that it
all does go in the one folder in file explorer and rather than each
grouping being in a seperate folder (as above) and it's only a virtual
separation.  In that case how do I get it to seperate them in dk so I don't
10,000 pics in one folder without  any idea of what I'm looking at.

There are many other capabilities of dk I'd like to use but until I get
this I'm not able to proceed.